When Your Future Is At Stake
There’s No Such Thing As A “Minor” Drug Charge
Being arrested and charged with a drug crime can be frightening. Being convicted on drug charges can be a nightmare. Drug crimes carry severe penalties and consequences that go far beyond significant fines or lengthy jail time. You’ll face irreparable damage to your personal and professional reputation, loss of driving privileges, and a stain on your record that will make it more difficult to pursue future employment opportunities.
Don’t be fooled into thinking that changing attitudes or the liberalization of some marijuana laws diminish the serious nature of a conviction; even a misdemeanor conviction for marijuana possession can create problems for you long after your case is over.
At Gore & Kuperman, we believe that there is no such thing as a “minor” drug charge given the effect a conviction can have on your future. If you’ve been charged with any kind of drug crime in Northern Virginia or Washington, D.C., you need an experienced and aggressive drug crimes defense attorney who understands what’s at stake, who knows how to win, and who will stand by your side and fight for you every step of the way.
Commitment, Tenacity, and Experience in Drug Crime Defense
When you retain tenacious drug crime defense lawyers at Gore & Kuperman to defend you against drug charges, you can expect:
- Aggressive and thorough defense. We take a detailed, aggressive, and comprehensive approach to your case, defending your rights, exploring all available options, and challenging prosecutors at every turn.
- Accessibility and open communication. We’ll keep you informed, provide sound guidance, and answer all of your questions so you understand what’s happening at all times.
- Experience and results. We have decades of experience defending against drug charges, a reputation for being prepared to take cases to trial, and a thorough understanding of Virginia and federal drug laws that has led to a record of positive results.
- Commitment. We are dedicated to obtaining the best possible outcome and will work tirelessly on your behalf so you can move forward with your life.
From Misdemeanors to Felonies, Whether in State or Federal Court, We’ll Fight for You
We have successfully defended clients in Northern Virginia and Washington, D.C. accused of every type of drug crime, including:
- Possession. Simply possessing an illegal or controlled substance in most circumstances is a felony, under both state and federal law, with penalties varying depending on the kind and amount of the drugs at issue. While possession of a minimal amount of marijuana is currently a misdemeanor under Virginia law, it is still punishable by up to 30 days in jail and a fine of up to $500.
- Sales & Distribution. It’s no surprise that the penalties for drug sales and distribution are harsher than for possession, with larger amounts and/or subsequent offenses carrying the potential for huge fines and decades behind bars. For example, under Virginia law, a conviction for selling, distributing, or possession with intent to sell substances such as cocaine, heroin, ecstasy, or even large amounts of marijuana can result in a prison sentence of up to 40 years and fines of up to $500,000.
- Trafficking. Drug trafficking, or bringing drugs into the state with intent to sell or distribute, is treated very harshly by both state and federal authorities. Under Virginia law, a drug trafficking conviction can lead to up to 40 years behind bars, and can even result in a life sentence if convicted in federal court.
Repeat offenses, drug crimes involving schools, children, or weapons, or other circumstances can make the already serious consequences of a drug offense conviction even more devastating.
You have the right to more than just an attorney — you have the right to the best legal counsel possible. If you are facing drug crime charges in Northern Virginia or Washington, DC, the experienced and dedicated criminal defense attorneys at Gore & Kuperman stand ready to fight for you. Call us or contact us below.